The synagogue was built in 1928–29 and served the local Orthodox, Hasidic community. The facility was called the ‘small Synagogue’ as the town also had a larger synagogue, built in 1873 for the Neolog community, but demolished in 1957.
Until 1944, around 1500-2000 Jews lived in Zenta, but after the deportations during the Holocaust, only a few hundred returned.
The synagogue served the small local Jewish community until the 1950s, after which it became the property of the municipality and ceased to serve a sacred function. The building was used as a sports centre, among other things, and today, especially after its renovation, has a primarily cultural function. The building will house an art gallery and a permanent exhibition on local Jewish history as well.